The England Athletics Mental Health Ambassador programme aims to establish a network of volunteer ambassadors in running clubs and groups across England to support people who are experiencing mental health problems to start running, get back into running, or continue running as well as to improve the mental wellbeing of their existing members.
The programme supports #runandtalk, an England Athletics campaign to improve mental health through running in England by:
- getting people talking about mental health, sharing their experiences and removing stigma
- raising awareness of mental health problems
- supporting people experiencing mental health problems to start, return to and continue running
Stockton Striders has two Mental Health Ambassadors: Catherine Clennett and Paul Johnson. Our friendly ambassadors have experience of mental health problems themselves or through close family or friends and are passionate about improving mental wellbeing through running.
The role of the Mental Health Ambassadors at the club is to:
- Work with the club to support its members to improve their mental health through running; and
- support new people who are experiencing mental health problems to start running, get back into running, or continue running.
The Ambassadors have links to Middlesbrough and Stockton Mind’s ‘Get Set to Go’ programme and can accept referrals from the programme.